The NHS long term plan lays out a strategy for the modernisation, redesign, and expansion of the NHS. The plan focuses on priority areas for improvement, covered in seven chapters:
- a new service model for the 21st century
- more NHS action on prevention and health inequalities
- further progress on care quality and outcomes
- NHS staff will get the backing they need
- digitally-enabled care will go mainstream across the NHS
- taxpayers’ investment will be used to maximum effect
- next steps.
The plan guides strategy for the entire NHS, but the role of specialised commissioning remains essential to delivery of many aspects of the plan.