The Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) has updated SIGN 142, Management of osteoporosis and the prevention of fragility fractures.
The topics covered by SIGN 142 include:
- risk factors for fracture
- tools for fracture risk assessment
- approaches to targeted therapy
- pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments to reduce fracture risk
- treatment of painful vertebral fractures
- systems of care.
First issued in 2015, the guideline was updated in June 2020 to include updated information on:
- elevated fracture risk in people living with HIV
- targeted treatment strategies
- general harms associated with bisphosphonates
- calcium and vitamin D treatment
- comparisons between different pharmacological treatments.